Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chatper 36

Ice was surprised when Brutus and Blade came into his cell with a table, a chair and computer.
“Here this is for you. The computer does not have a modem or wireless capability. I thought this might be suitable for writing.”
“Thanks, guys. It will help alleviate the boredom.”
“On another note, how are you feeling?”
Ice ran a hand over his belly. “The morning sickness has passed. I will be delighted when this is over. Do you have any idea when that will be?”
Blade looked at him thoughtfully, “When you have a son at minimum.”
“Both children were girls?”
“Yes.”
“I might not have a son. It seems my family runs to girls.”
“How many sisters do you have?”
Ice looked at Blade. This was the first time he had asked anything personal. Brutus was leaning against the door, seemingly uninterested in the conversation. “It doesn’t matter, my mortal family is all dead and I’ve been dead to them a lot longer than that.”
A hand on his arm. “I’m sorry, Ice.” Ice felt tears prick his eyes. He hadn’t thought of his birth family in years. They did not deserve his tears. He had sworn a long time ago that he would never cry over them again. Blade pulled him into a comforting embrace. The other vampire’s sympathy undid him and he wept into his captor’s shoulder. Finally he pulled away.
“Are you okay?”
Ice nodded. “Yes. I would like to be alone now.”
They left silently.

No comments:

Post a Comment