Friday, October 5, 2012

chapter 87

   Ice and Onyx walked into the house still laughing. They paused as Aaron and Blade looked up from the couch. The evening newscast was playing. Footage of the confrontation at the bookstore earlier was being played, while the news anchor droned on. Blade looked amused, but Aaron seemed on edge.
   “That was quick.”
   “Indeed. You have become the poster-child of the mixed-color movement in one fell swoop. Tell me, Ice King, how does that make you feel?” Blade held out his hand like it was a microphone. Ice raised his hand and pretended to hit him. “Ooh, abuse, abuse, you’re violating my First Amendment rights. I’ll sue. Call my lawyer.” He collapsed on the couch laughing.
   “If the peanut gallery is through, maybe we should consider how we want to handle this?” Onyx interjected. “There always been resistance to the idea of mixing the colors. The PPP is merely the latest and most vocal opponent of the idea. It will blow over. People, young people, look at our children and want the right to marry whomever they please. They are tired of being forced into marriage with someone just because they are the right color and the right age. I was lucky. My parents didn’t betroth me as a child. But what of all those other children who aren’t as fortunate? Don’t they have the right to choose? Don’t they have the right to have what we have? I have no problem supporting the mixed-colors. Do you?”
   Ice studied his lover. Onyx was generally so quiet, so unassuming, that this outburst was uncharacteristic. He nodded slowly. “If I hadn’t become a vampire, I would have been married off to some girl I didn’t know or love. I can be with a woman, but I don’t enjoy it. I don’t like being in the public eye, but I’ll do it if I must.”
   Blade waved his hand. “I was born before the Color Laws were enacted. I understand the reasoning behind them, but maybe the time has come to change those Laws. Maybe humans and vampires have grown up. Just don’t expect me to appear in public with either of you. I like my job, but the hospital has a policy of ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’. They don’t care who I sleep with as long as I don’t flaunt my relationships.”
   “Aaron?” Ice asked. “Aaron?” He asked again, touching his lover’s arm. Aaron jumped, startled.
   “What?”
   “How do you feel about the publicity?”
   “I don’t, I can’t be your lover, not in public. I just can’t.”
   “Why not?” Ice queried puzzled. There was something off about Aaron’s response. “You have never had a problem being seen with me before.”
   “I just can’t,” Aaron whispered. Ice stared after him as Aaron raced from the room.
   “That was odd.”
   “Yes. I wonder if it’s linked to whatever’s been bothering him the past couple of months,” Blade speculated. “Or maybe it’s just hormones. Besides if he’s seen in public with you when he’s pregnant, the press is going to be all over him and the child.  Which isn’t good for either of them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment