Monday, December 31, 2012

Chapter 151

   Burke cautiously walked into his pimp’s sun room. The summons had given no indication what was the matter, but he was sure it had something to do with his pregnancy.
   “You wanted to see me, sir?”
   “Yes, you have been here four years now.”
   “Yes, sir.”
   “You are popular among a certain clientele. However, I find it puzzling that you’ve managed to conceive when you’re supposed to barren.”
   Burke stared at the floor while he formulated his thoughts. “I was pregnant once before I came here. It was a difficult pregnancy. I nearly died. I was told that there was too much damage for me to conceive again.”
   “I see. You are too far along for the usual procedure. however, I have an alternative.”
   “Usual procedure?”
   “Termination. A pregnant whore is one that isn’t earning money.”
   Burke blanched and cupped his hand protectively over his stomach. “The alternative?”
   “One of your regular clients has offered to buy your contract at a substantial increase over the current value. I have accepted his offer. He’ll be here tomorrow to pick you up.”
   “May I ask why he did this?”
   The man studied Burke before answering, “I think that he thinks that the child you’re carrying is his.”
   Burke didn’t get much sleep that night. His pimp had refused to tell him who had bought him. Probably afraid he’d run off. Burke thought cynically. Given the nature of his regular clients he wasn’t entirely sure that he was benefitting from this change.
   The next morning he walked downstairs to meet his new owner. He drew his breath in. It was the man the whores had nicknamed “Marquis de Sade” for his legendary cruelty.
   The Marquis smiled at Burke. “Good morning. I trust you’ve packed everything?”
   He nodded. “Yes, sir.”
   “Good. Shall we go?”
   Burke silently followed the man out to the car. After several minutes he hesitantly spoke. “Sir, if I may ask, why did you…?”
   “Why did I buy your contract? You’re the first person that has managed to survive my attention. You also might be carrying my child. It’ll be tested of course, just to make sure.”
   “Of course,” Burke replied softly, “and if it is?”
   “I’ll name it my heir. I won’t bed you until after you give birth.”
   “Thank you.”
   The next several months passed in a blur. True to his word, the Marquis avoided Burke’s bed. Burke was given every luxury he desired. For the first time in six years he was content. The Marquis had the best OB/GYN available tend to Burke. Because of his history, he delivered his third child by C-section.
   He lay in his room afterward wondering if he had a son or a daughter.
   “How are you feeling?” the Marquis entered the room.
   “Fine. My stomach feels a little sore.”
   “The tests are back. Thank you for giving me a healthy daughter, Cecilia.”
 
Cecilia King



 

No comments:

Post a Comment