Monday, November 26, 2012

Chapter 124

   Aaron sat beside his sister while the police finished up. There was nothing he could say to comfort her. His nephews sat quietly next to her. The older one kept sneaking peaks at Aaron. Aaron searched his memory for the name. Julius and Tristan. They were the same age as Aaron’s own sons Byron, Burke and Benjamin.
   “I can’t believe he’s gone.”
   “What happened?”
   “We, Tristan and I, went to the late movie tonight. Julius was at the school dance. He came home to find his father like that.” Ariel burst into fresh tears.
   “That must have been hard for you, finding him like that.”
   “Yes.” Julius replied flatly.
   The detective approached them. “Mrs. Aaeng, I’m sorry, but I have to ask you this, was your husband seeing anyone?”
   “No. Matthew would never cheat on me.”
   “Why do you ask?”
   “The medical examiner says that there was evidence of sexual activity.”
   “He was raped?”
   “We can’t tell that yet. It could have been consensual.”
   Ariel paled. “Who could have done something like that?”
   “We don’t know. We’ll be in touch.”
   “Can you believe that? Matthew was violated.”

   Julius looked at her in disgust and wandered out to the backyard. Aaron followed him.
   “Go away.”
   “Do you know something you’re not telling?”
   “I found a note addressed to you. I read it. It was educational.”
   “That’s an interesting way to describe it.”
   “My father was quite explicit about certain acts he wished to perform with you. Acts he had performed with you.”
   “I’m sorry. I never meant to hurt you.”
   “Really? Then why did you screw him?” Julius demanded.
   “It seemed like a good idea at the time. Your father was handsome and there was always a spark between us. I never pursued him. I couldn’t force him to accept who he was.”
   “He was gay.”
   “Technically, he was bisexual. He was a herm after all.”
   “Oh. Meghan’s gay.”
   “I know. I was at her wedding. She married my step-daughter.”
    “I didn’t know that. I like her wife. I sometimes sneak over to see them after school. I never understood why it was wrong to feel that way."
   “Me either. Your grandfather taught your mother to hate. He tried to kill me when he found me kissing a boy. That’s why I left.”
   “Do you still do that? Kiss boys?”
   “I kiss men. I’d get in trouble for kissing a boy.”
   Julius laughed at that. Aaron could tell that the boy was more relaxed. “I think Dad was seeing someone.”
   “What makes you think that?”
   “I think he might have been pregnant. I found a positive pregnancy test in the trash. My sisters have moved out and my parents don’t, well, you know,” he blushed at the thought of his parents having sex. Aaron understood. He couldn’t imagine his parents ever doing it either.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment